Monday, September 04, 2006

Santorum Clobbers Casey

It will surprise absolutely no one that knows me that I am not a big Santorum fan. I think he represents some of the worst inclinations of partisan politics and that he is a poor representative of this commonwealth's pragmatic, centrist tradition. So, I was quite dismayed to watch Santorum handily defeat Casey in the debate on Meet the Press. If it comes down to deciding who you would rather have working for you in the Senate, the answer is clearly Santorum.

Casey made some major mistakes in the debate including apparently choosing decaf that morning. He allowed the debate to center on foreign policy and war. He was unable to articulate a coherent plan on Social Security or fiscal policy in general even though he is the State Treasurer. His chief argument should have been that the Republicans have had control of the White House and the Congress for 5 years and still we have no border security, out of control spending, and a huge crisis with Social Security and Medicare looming as the boomers prepare to retire. 5 years, 3 massive issues, and nothing accomplished. Senator Santorum is at the heart of the leadership of the party that has gotten nothing of substance done in 5 years. He should be fired. They all should be fired.
So he missed his footing, but Casey also lacked vigor and passion and used obviously rehearsed, smug retorts to counter his opponent's arguments. I could forgive him his phlagmatic performance if I sensed a thoughtful and deliberate mind working behind the veil. But, I fear that like too many democrats he is uninformed about the real workings of our society.
So, I am left to chose between a man I think is competent at politics as it is practiced today and will bring dollars back to PA but with whom I disagree with on major issues or a man that but for his last name would not have been on the show.

I may go into more detail later, but for now I must rage against the choice we voters are left with this November.

No comments: